Monday, December 14, 2009

The Elf of the Shelf

Seriously. This is one of the many things that we discover in life that makes me say to myself, "Why didn't I think of that??"

So I heard about this last year, but we did not get one. We had enough going on trying to move and counting down til David got home from Iraq. But Momma and I talked about it and she decided she wanted to get the kids one for this year.

I started a little tradition last year. Whatever night we put up the tree, they have some presents to kick off the season. I always love for them to have matching jommies for every holiday. And of course Christmas shirts and socks are a must. And this year I added a few new Christmas books to read before bed. Since Momma was still here, she had the shirts she always gives them ready and The Elf on the Shelf.

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, it is a small elf dressed in felt with a plastic head. He has a cute grin in his face. And the way it works is that he comes to your house at the beginning of the Christmas season and just sits and observes. The kids can talk to him, but they are not supposed to touch him. They named him Charlie and now he is "ours." Each night after we go to sleep, Charlie flies back to the North Pole to check in with Santa and report on how the kids are behaving. Then every morning when we all wake up, he is in a new spot to watch and listen for another day.

They even have a website. The kids LOVE this, too. They are computer fools, so they were all over it. The only part that is somewhat disturbing is the song that plays on the website. "The Elf on the Shelf is watching you, everything you say or do. . ." It plays it over and over and is strangely Orwellian. You know, The elf, Big Brother, The Man, whatever.

That aside, this baby is a hit! They are so cute looking for him. They always go to his last spot to check and see if he moved. Then they head out to find him. They get so excited when they discover his new location. They tell him welcome back! Spencer said to me on about day 3, very seriously, "Mommy, he really is magic."
Here is Charlie with the kids on his first night:



Here are a couple of his locations so far:




And Spencer's class has one, too. He was the first one in his class to notice it, so the whole class is calling theirs Charlie, too!! Spencer thinks Charlie is following him to school. And he is convinced that I gave our book to his teacher. So funny!

And every time they start to act ugly, one or the other of them will remind all of us that Charlie is listening. And the funniest is when they are being nice, they want Charlie to notice their good behavior, too. Think he can stay year round??
P.S. So I have many funny stories to share and pictures to post, but I am crazy busy. From school functions to church concerts to the polar express with the USO, we have not had a free minute. And toss in not one but 2 children with yucky sinus infections and well, we are running a tad behind. I will be a good blogger again soon! And I am trying hard to not get stressed. It will all get done. And whatever does not get done will be OK. Christmas is about lots more than the packages and the cookies. And I am trying to stop and enjoy the moments. The kids and I have been flying solo a LOT - David has not been home for more than 1 night in weeks. BUT we are doing OK, drinking homemade hot chocolate, eating peppermint Hershey kisses, and counting the days until David starts leave. . . (8, if you're counting, too)

1 comment:

kate said...

I love Elf on the Shelf! I saw him last year and thought that I would love to do that when I have my kiddos! I'm so happy to hear that yours love him!

And no worries about getting it all done. You sound like you have a great outlook on everything. Deep breaths and hot chocolate will help. LOVE you!