Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Me and my shadow

I have not blogged too much lately. Losing Dunken has been absolutely one of the hardest things that I have ever had to face. I have not even been able to talk about it much. There are neighbors who did not even know because I could not bring myself to say the words. His bowl is still in the dish drain by the sink. I cannot bring myself to put it away. I like seeing it there as if it is waiting for me to feed him at any moment.
The biggest source of comfort for me throughout this whole ordeal has been Max.
Some people have commented that having another dog must make it harder to handle the loss. But I have found it to be quite the opposite. Checking on Max, feeding Max, medicating Max has been something to focus on. And helping him deal with the sudden loss of his friend and partner in crime has been good for me. He needs me. And it feels good to be needed. I was so focused on keeping Dunken comfortable and happy and taken care of right up until the very end. So without Max, I would have been absolutely lost.
And I think he kind of likes me, too. He is always with me. I sometimes feel guilty because he never can get settled anywhere because I am not still very long at the time. And when I am upstairs in Stewart's domain during the day, he has to stay downstairs. And the silly sweet thing stands at the bottom of the stairs, stares up at me, and just whines until I finish whatever I am doing and come back donwstairs.

I finally moved one of the extra doggie beds into the kitchen because he would just stand there and stare at me when I was sitting at the table or doing things in the kitchen.
I wanted him to at least be comfortable while he was keeping tabs on me.
He is such a little blessing to all of us.
Don't know what I would have done the past few months without him. Thank God for my Max, my precious little shadow!


No comments: