Monday, May 17, 2010

Tree hugger

I have no idea what prompted this.
I have no idea where he even got this idea.

One afternoon last week, Spencer was busy making things. He loves to color, draw, write notes, cut, glue. And the kids have a place with tons of paper, markers, crayons, scissors, envelopes, glue, tape, you name it. And my sweet boy spends hours there, just creating things. So this particular afternoon, it was not anything out of the ordinary. He was making a card. I could tell because he folded the white paper in half.

Then a little while later, he asked me how to spell "tree."
So I called out to him, "T."
Then he said, "OK, now what?"
I called out "R."
And so on.

In a couple more minutes, he was finished.
He presented me with the fruit of his labor.

It was a card alright.
It had a BIG red heart on the front.
He was so proud of it.

Wanna see the inside?
OK, here it is:

Yep.
That's what it says:
From Spencer
To Tree
I love you Tree

Here is the object of his affection:


And since trees don't have hands, we needed some ribbon.

I threaded it, and he tied it on.

Here they are together.
A boy and his tree.
This would make Shel Silverstein smile, don't you think?
Only in Spencer's version, he is doing the giving - at least for now.

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I don't know why but this one made me cry. I think because it is sweet to the point of almost hurting to think of this precious little boy making a card for a tree...even thinking of a tree..or maybe because I have always loved trees myself..but never actually told one that...am I too old to make a card for a tree? ;-)
I imagine the the One who made the tree is smiling!