Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pumper

What a difference a day makes. . .
Yesterday, my Mom arrived to stay with us for a few days. The kids were over the moon - beyond excited! They did not leave her alone for a minute. They fought over who she loved the most several times. She went with me to pick them up from school to surprise them. And when we got home, we had to do it all! Ride bikes, play basketball, swing, play on the playground, read stories, watch movies - they wore her out trying to pack it all in (and that was the first 30 minutes!).

So when we were in the backyard swinging, May had to push them. Mommy would not do. And May tried to convince Jessa to just pump her legs. We have been trying for a long time to get her to do this. She could do the motion, but she did not seem to get the mechanics. She would always get discouraged and stop trying. In Louisiana, her "best friend" Hailey (who is a couple years older) even tried to teach her. All to no avail.

So today, I go to pick her up from school. Her class was on the playground. I went straight to find her, and I did not see her. One of her teachers, Miss Christy saw me and told me to look over to the swings. And there she was, all alone, swinging and PUMPING HER LEGS! She was so proud of herself!! Miss Christy said that she was determined to stay on the swing until I arrived to see her. And see her I did! She was beaming and grinning from ear to ear. And of course, yelling across the entire playground to make sure I was aware of what I was witnessing. I almost cried because she is so big, and she was so proud of herself.

We went into the building to get our Spencer, who had a "P" day at school. He wore his Pajamas. They had a feast to include Pancakes, Pineapples, Pretzels, Pickles, and Pears. When I left him this morning, he was elbow deep in Pasta hunting for baby gherkin Pickles! So Jessa being a new Pumper sort of fit into Spencer's day, huh??

When we got to his room, Jessa grabbed Spencer's arms and got right in his face and said, "Spencer, guess what?! I learned how to pump my legs!" And as we were leaving, she said, "The Pumper will lead the way." And all the way home, it was the pumper will get in first, the pumper will hook her seat, the pumper this, the pumper that. . . She could not wait to get home to show May her new skill.

We burst in the door and immediately made May go to the swing set. And boy was May proud and excited! Seriously, it was like the pumping thing just finally "clicked" today! And she is still so proud! She is counting the minutes until David gets home to show Daddy! She also kept telling Spencer, "When you get a little older, you can learn how to pump your legs, too."

Check out 2 videos of the pumper and her brother!



t

They are just too big for my taste. . .

No comments: