Friday, January 29, 2010

NEW FEATURE: FURRY FRIDAY

I have never gotten into the whole Wordless Wednesday Thing that lots of bloggers do. You are supposed to just post a photo and that's it. I can't do it. I have too many words. I am never wordless. AND almost all my posts have photos anyway, so I have never jumped into that. And lots of people have their own little ideas for special days of the week and special topics. So this is my new idea. (In the event that it is discovered that this was not my original idea, sorry. I have never heard of it, so for now, I am saying it is all mine, sound OK??)

So now every Friday I will feature a Furry Baby. Maybe it will be pictures. Maybe it will be a story. Maybe it will be both. Maybe it will be one of my furry babies (OK, mostly it will be mine. . .), or maybe it will be someone else's. Sound good?? AND I would love it if any of you who also have precious furry babies and a blog to hop on board with this idea. I think it will be fun to have at least one post every week dedicated to our sweet four-legged children. Ya with me??

Without further ado:
My first Furry Friday Feature will be
DUNKEN
(David accused me of playing favorites. But Dunken is our first born child. Alphabetically, he is first. AND he happened to do something this week that I wanted to blog about. And that thing is what gave me this idea, so I think it is only fair.)

Ever since he was a puppy, Dunken has been such a good helper. When we were in Germany for 4 years, we had to use a laundry room in the basement of our buildings. One time, we were on the 3rd floor and one time we were on the 2nd floor. Both cases, there were a lot of stairs involved with keeping us smelling fresh and clean. And my sweet Dunken, who was 6 months old when we moved to Germany, walked with me every step of the way. He went with me to start the washer, start the dryer, and bring them upstairs. This is where he discovered that he liked warm clothes, fresh from the dryer. So most days, I would have to carry a clothes basket full of clothes AND a Westie up all those stairs.
Dunken, in Bamberg, the beginning of a tradition! I still have that clothes basket. . .
Sometimes, David helped me. I have the most precious picture I took of the two of them coming up the stairs in Germany, but I cannot find it. Rats! It was before digital, so I have a hard copy and a negative somewhere. If I ever find it, I will post it. Priceless, it is.
In Mannheim, sometimes I had to fold most of the clothes and leave him asleep until later. Same basket, weird, huh?
The funny thing about it was that even in the hot summer with no A/C when we were sweating to death, that silly dog would crawl in the basket of warm clothes and pant his head off! It was just sort of a habit. Sort of his thing. Sometimes he would race me to the top of the stairs and then get in the basket, but almost every basket of clothes I have ever washed ended up with a sweet Dunken snuggling in the warmth.
This is in Hinesville - same sweet puppy, same basket.
Even today, he still gets excited to "help" me with the warm, clean clothes.
This week, in the laundry room at Scott. I still have the other basket, I just have 2 now!
Sweet, silly Dunken!

1 comment:

kate said...

LOVE it!! I love Dunken! That is so, so cute with him in the basket! Huck loves warm clothes too -- I need to take a picture (and blog about it!)

The other day, I took the clothes out of the dryer and put them on the couch and started folding them and Huck just jumped up there and sat in the middle of them and fell asleep. I didn't want to disturb him (of course!) so I just had to leave them unfolded until he woke up. The sacrifices I'm willing to make...;)

Sorry this is the longest comment ever.