Saturday, March 21, 2009

When Jessa grows up

I know that this is a common topic for all children. Grown-ups are always asking children, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I don't ask the babies that question all that often. I don't know why, I just don't. But we joke about things they fixate on and figure that is what they'll do.

Jessa does LOVE to dance. She sets up these ballet dancing shows in the den. She moves the table out of the middle of the floor. She turns off the lights. Sometimes Spencer is even her spotlight (he has to sit in front of her and follow her every move with a flashlight). Her favorite dance music is either the nutcracker or this CD with covers of Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne. She has to get dressed in a gown with slippers. I even sometimes have to put her hair in a bun. She learns new moves from Angelina Ballerina. She does take it all pretty seriously.

At school, they asked each kid in her class what did they want to be, to which she replied, "a ballerina."
Here are a few shots of her dancing:

She looks very talented, no?

When Spencer and I watch her, he will lean over and say to me, "Mommy, isn't she beautiful?" And I always agree! He loves her so much - so cute! But sometimes, she even lets him join in.

I apologize for the lack of lighting, but as I have said, the dancing conditions are very specific and always include darkness.

I am telling you all this as a preface to the REAL story. . .
I get my People Magazine every Friday (yay!). It is a highlight of my week!!

Last week, when it came, my sweet, innocent 5 year old daughter was browsing through it. She was very serious, studying the pages and checking it all out.

After a couple minutes, she said, "Mommy, this is what I want to be when I grow up."

I said, "Really, what?"

She proceeded to hold up a 2 page spread from my latest People so that I could see it.

"This is what I want to be when I grow up."


I did not know whether to cry or throw up!
My sweet angel baby girl wants to be Britney? What?!?

I kept my cool and said, "Oh, OK, but what is that, Jessa?"

She matter-of-factly replied, "A performer."

I guess I can live with that, as long as I have final approval on all costumes.
Don't you think that is fair?

No comments: