Monday, September 16, 2013

Good Boy Fergus?

When we got Fergus this summer, I was wondering how long it would be before he figured out the doggie door.  Molly picked it up pretty quickly, but her older dog example was Max.  And he was not too big on going in or out or getting up or being awake.

So Molly didn't really "get it" until she was around Abby and Cooper while May and Bay were visiting.  But Fergus had crazy Molly to teach him.  And even though he was only 6 weeks old when we got him, and even though he only weighed 4.5 lbs, he was throwing himself out that door within about 2 days.
This is the 3rd day after we got him:

So with the doggie door comes freedom.  Molly figured this out pretty quickly.  Freedom to go out anytime you want.  Freedom to come in anytime you want.  And freedom to take whatever you can drag through the hole in the door outside. Molly loved this part the most.

So it was only a matter of time before Fergus figured out the dragging things outside thing, too.  Sometimes it was things that he wanted to eat/play with/chew up without us trying to stop him.  Sometimes it was shoes.  Sometimes it was trash or yarn or water bottles or snacks.  You name it, he wanted it outside.

One time, he dragged yarn in and out and all around to create a simulated laser maze.

And I will be honest, I knew that he was continuing to drag stuff outside.  But unless it was a shoe that one of us wanted to wear right then, I had the tendency to just leave it out there.  But this week, I realized that I hadn't cut the grass in months.  (The backyard is really shady, so it hadn't needed it.  But then David just informed me that it is just like hair and I need to trim the dead ends.  Who knew?!)  Before I could cut the grass, I needed to go on a scavenger/ Easter egg hunt: Fergus Style.

I tried to take a picture of what it looked like before I picked everything up.

I am not sure if it makes the severity of this situation clear.

So I started just putting everything that I picked up on the table.
Well, I think that you can tell from this picture that he has a problem.

Apparently, there are few things he will not try to take outside.
One day I saw this when I got home:

Thank goodness we didn't get the large doggie door!  But can't you picture that 9 lb dog trying to get that pillow that is bigger than him out that door???

Oh and a day or so after I cleaned up the yard, I went to the grocery store.
That Fergus!  Apparently, he wanted to help me unload the bags.
Later that afternoon, I found these out in the yard.



Bless his heart! 

He was trying to help me clean!

I guess I'll keep him.

No comments: